12.11.09

artist interview - rachael taylor...

I've been chatting with wonderful UK surface designer Rachael Taylor. I first spotted her earlier this year on print and pattern, and since she has been keeping quite busy. She is working on developing her own line of goods which currently includes bright and cheery tea towels, mugs, stationary and wall art. Products are currently available on notonthehighstreet.com and etsy.com. Be sure to stop by her new blog for updates on new products and art.
1/ What three to five words would you use to describe your work?
Spontaneous, layered, textural, quirky, fun.

2/ What inspires you?
I'm inspired by lots of things, I take my camera everywhere, in particular
I get a lot of great reference & inspiration from old neglected things, run down buildings
torn posters, distressed neglected paintwork. It looks very interesting & beautiful to me
& this kind of thing has always inspired the textural side of my work.
I take inspiration from nature, silhouettes, flowers & foliage. I also love mundane things like
light bulbs grids switches etc. Music is a big inspiration as it effects my mood, half the time a piece
of work has a certain look because of what song I've just heard. I'm quite spontaneous & sometimes
just make things up off the top of my head.

3/ What was your first job? When/how did you know you wanted a career in art?
My first design job after university was as a print & design technician for a small family run textile company. I'd always love to draw & doodle from a young age. I'd say when I was 15 I decided that was the path I wanted to take. I'm a really creative person, I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

4/ What mediums do you work with?
I tend to work in pen & pencil a lot. I draw a lot of my icons that way, then I work in photoshop
& illustrator. I also sew on to paper a lot splat paints/inks etc also for different effects.

5/ Design books/blogs you can't live without?
Print & Pattern blogspot, Patterns by Drusilla Cole, Poppy Talk blog, Elle Decoration.

6/ what do you do when you are not doing art?
Dancing, walking my dog, spending time with family & friends.

7/ name one thing about you that would shock the outside world.
I was voted the happiest person in Britain 2009 (in two national newspapers & twitter).I have danced
on numerous UK TV productions in the UK, such as ITV'S 'Wuthering Heights' & the BBC's forthcoming drama 'A Passionate Woman'

8/ What city in the world best describes you?
New York: quirky, random, fun, energetic, restless.

9/ What's next?
To keep happy, expand my own design label & to continue designing & grow my business.

No comments: