22.11.10

peek of the process - color...

Finally! I am committing myself to creating new work! Let me tell you I am so excited about it! This is why I love fall. I just want to make some tea and draw, draw, draw! I know everyone wants a bit more of the scoop on my process, so I thought I would begin at the beginning!

Truly for me it all starts with color. Before I think about themes, motifs, anything at all, I have to see and feel the color story. In fact it is the color that really creates the story as a whole for me. Color creates a story of India, or Provence, or a playful summer day... When I start to create a color palette I like to pull images that really speak to me - and the story just takes off.  There are so many places I can go within this palette!  Um...yum! Really!



1. via papersnitch 2. via design sponge 3. holly knitlightly via papersnitch  4. via from the right bank 5. via wise acre (flickr)  6. via roger gordon (flickr)  7. via rudolf_schuba (flickr)

5 comments:

Jenean said...

How interesting that it all starts with color! I can see that in your work. I often start with the designs--sometimes doing them in black and white and sometimes just using random placement colors before settling on the final palette. But I love this approach--I've been feeling like I need to shake things up a bit so this might be a great place to start. Thanks for sharing!

Barbra said...

Hmm I almost never start with color which is weird because i LOVE color. Should try it your way sometime. My process usually just starts with a theme /mood and then I find reference around the mood (mag clippings, store shots, internet photos). Then I pull colors from the reference.

khristian said...

It is interesting to see how differently everyone works!

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

I love this color story! Yah, yah for color.

Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage said...

Thank you for sharing this! I am so influenced by color but rarely have it as my first step in the design process. Yet, I am often influenced by the colors in a photograph as I design. I ought to do an experiment and do things your way. That should be interesting. :-)