25.3.10

artist interview - kristina sostarko of inaluxe...

I stumbled upon this fabulous work by Kristina Sostarko of Inaluxe and just had to know more!  She's been kind enough to chat for a bit!  Be sure to stop by her blog and fab etsy shop too!

inaluxe

My name's Kristina Sostarko, and I'm the artist behind inaluxe. I have a blog www.inaluxe.blogspot.com and an online store www.inaluxe.etsy.com where you can come and visit me. I live in Melbourne, Australia with my partner Jase, and our little fox-dog Kibi.

what three to five words would you use to describe your work?

Tough one to answer. I think I better draw from what others have said as well as how I see it - although I don't really think about the work in these terms, so it's a fascinating question. I guess bold, graphic, flow, whimsical, and pop are all relevant.

what inspires you?

The maddening need to change, fix, make better, improve, and explore. It's what drives me, and gets me out of bed in the morning. Primarily, this is what inspires me. On a more tangible level, architecture, music, people, textures, colour, pattern, the everyday. Everything from animals, and their behaviour, to a large old broken down shed in the country, or perhaps it's a wild 1970's velvet sofa in orange and turquoise stripes, etc.inaluxe2

what was your first job?  when/how did you know you wanted a career in art?

My first job was working in a young women's refuge. It was such an amazing experience, and while it did not fulfil my creative vision at the time, it did help me to learn alot about my self, and others. It gave me certain skills, and awareness about the world around me. I loved it. I knew I wanted to be an artist when I was 8 years old. I would sit and draw all day, everyday. Birds, horses, and I recall I had a huge thing for the tv show "I Dream Of Jeanie" and I would just draw her constantly.

finish this sentence.  I could eat ______ all day.

peaches.

design books/blogs you can't live without

This is a can of worms. A nice can, but nevertheless, a hard one to control, and answer without giving you a giant essay on the topic. ha!  It changes for me all the time. I don't really have one favourite blog, or book. At the moment I am working through some of my bird reference books, and learning more about particular birds, and not just painting them. It adds something to the work for me: their habitats, personalities, quirks, etc are all omnipresent and part of what inspires the pieces.

what do you do when you are not doing art?

Is there such a thing? I'm usually thinking about it, or not thinking about  it. At the moment, I am doing the art full time.

name one thing about you that would shock the outside world.

I like death metal? I don't know, but that's one thing people tend to get surprised about. I don't really know if there is something that really would shock others, and well, there probably is, but some things are better left not shared! :)inaluxe

finish this sentence.  If I could time travel, I would arrive...

right here. No time like the present - as they say.

what's next?

Lots and lots of thing I hope! I'm just about to start a new range of giclee prints on canvas, and I'm working on textiles for homewares at the moment. These are the two most significant changes happening right now. See where the journey leads, and keep exploring.

No comments: